Thursday, May 21, 2009

Happiest of Hours

It is my favorite time of year. That time when the weather is finally getting nice but it isn’t oppressive, and it isn’t Memorial Day (yet) so there are still people out and about in the city enjoying cocktails.

I love happy hour season. What? You thought no time of year was a bad time for happy hour? Well, that is true, but right now is the time of year when everyone is out enjoying themselves because we all know that this perfect weather will not last. Before you can say “margarita up with salt” it is hazy, hot and humid and people are hiding their frizzy hair and sweaty underarms in air conditioning.

Now, being on a fixed income means having to forgo some of life’s pleasures. However, I will give up cable before I give up going out. Let’s face it, this site would get pretty stale if I all I talked about was staying in my house, cleaning, worrying, reading, watching TV, worrying some more, sleeping and laying out.

And since I am not looking for a full-time job, I need to figure out how I am going to make ends meet if my book deal doesn’t pan out. One thought I recently had was finding a sugar daddy. And I am certainly not going to meet a wealthy man sitting on my couch (Dr. Phil taught me that).

Because I am a girl on a budget, Marie has been scouring the Internet for the best deals, and man do I think she found it.

Farmicia. Have you been? If not, and you are poor, this is the place to be. Even if you aren’t poor, this is by far the best happy hour deal in the city -- any drink you want (at the bar) is half off.

You want a pint of beer, half off. You want a Belvedere up with a twist, half off. You want a 75,000-year old, single malt Scotch, half off (that is if they have it). You and your friends want to split a bottle of wine, half off.

Seriously.

Now, mind you, the bar is not very big. Nor will it be filled with the stuffy-suit types you are going to find in Center City. And I will probably be kicking myself the next time Marie and I go in after getting our eyebrows done and find that we can’t get a seat. But maybe this will work to my advantage, maybe some hottie that reads this blog will start stalking me there.

And if that hottie has money, I may not press charges.

2 comments:

Tina Marina said...

It really is the best time of year, isn't it.

The time when you can take a weekend at the beach sans fat middle-aged people from Long Island (no disrespect to the Long Islanders, o' course). This makes me want to go out, but of course I'm sitting at home reading your blog instead.

Hope the searches go well. May you be a successful gold digger in a way only Kanye could sing about!

Tatiana said...

Thanks, Tina Marina. Though if my Kanye memory serves, I don't think I want to have a kid with my sugar daddy. I just want him to support my writing habit. So he won't have me "for 18 years!"