Sunday, November 15, 2009

Good Touch Bad Touch

For the record, yes, I am procrastinating again, but I also really wanted to share this moment from happy hour.

So, I’m standing with Marie and a couple of other former co-workers when another walks up, stands next to me, places his hand on my lower back and joins our conversation.

By now you should know I am not one for being touch. I’m also not a huge fan of public displays of affection. But this specific touch, when a guy I’m with or into firmly places his hand on the small of my back, typically makes me weak in the knees.

Wharton was the first guy that this happened with; I remember because when Bridie pulled me aside and asked me what the heck was going on with me and Wharton (we were broken up at the time, but not acting like it) I said I couldn’t help myself, when he touched my back like that, shivers ran up my spine.

She said that was my self-respect leaving my body. She was probably right.

However, when Creepy-Co-worker placed his hand there, there were neither weak knees, nor shivers. Well, there were shivers, but a different sort.

When he finally walked away and Marie could ask what the hell was wrong with me (obviously my face was contorted into a why-is-he-touching-me-there grimace) I told them where CC’s hand had just been. She rolled her eyes. She was used to CC’s weird and inappropriate touches. I then maneuvered so that my lower back wasn’t exposed when CC returned from his cigarette.

As upset as I was at CC for turning my previously good touch bad, it could have been worse, at least there were no good looking guys in the bar misled by that very possessive move.

No comments: