Saturday, June 15, 2013

For My Dad on Father’s Day


What follows has more curse words than is typical for me, but it is a post for my father and he would want it that way.

Like many in America, I heard about the recent pew study finding more than 40 percent of households are being supported by women.

I can’t say this surprised me, though the total shit-storm that erupted because of it did take me back a bit. And I was going to post a rant about how screwed up some of these douchebags are, especially after watching Megyn Kelly (really? Can we see a birth certificate as I don’t buy her mother named her Megyn with a y) handed two of these assholes their hats and I found myself cheering for her. But since it is Father’s Day, and my dad has a secret crush on Megyn, I decided I would be nice.

Instead, I think I am going to take this opportunity to tell you a little something about my family. My unholy, unnatural family.

My mom was the primary earner in our house.

That’s right. My mother was one of the 40 percent before there was such a thing. Always a trailblazer that one.

Whether it was because he was in school or economic hard times kept him out of a job, for portions of my childhood, my dad stayed at home while my mom worked. Even when he worked, my mother’s paycheck was bigger than his. 

And, according to some asshats out there, my family is what is wrong with America.

Because, instead of wringing her hands and spending her time in the kitchen, my mother worked. While she was working, my father was the one who took me to dance class and piano lessons and shopping for my first bra.

Which is why I am such a fuck up today. I mean, I’m a total degenerate. As are my brother and sister.

Oh, wait, that’s not right. We're actually all pretty normal, functioning members of society. We work. We pay taxes. Ivan and Lana even rescue dogs for crying out loud. Bad people don’t rescue dogs. 

Yes. It’s true, more people know my father as “my father” or in some cases by Ivan’s first name because they just assume he named his son after himself, than they might know him from his professional life. But it doesn’t seem to bother him. Give him a cigar and a Scotch and my father will tell you story after story about running into our old teachers and coaches and friends’ parents and friends. 

My father loves being a father. More than he ever loved working. And there is nothing wrong or unmanly or unnatural about that. 

In fact, Erick Erickson, I think you should go knock on my parents door and tell my father to his face you think our family is unnatural and the reason America is going down the toilet. Because I think it would be hysterical to watch you explain to your viewers how a man who stayed at home taking care of his kids while his wife worked to support the family gave you a black eye and a broken nose.

Maybe instead of blaming feminists or women who support their families out of desire or necessity, you should be looking for ways to turn this bullshit paradigm on its head.

Maybe we should stop defining men by the title on their business card, the zeroes on their pay-stubs or the number of women they’ve banged and instead ask if he is a good fathers. Is he a good providers, not just of a roof over his family's head, but of love and support of his family and occasionally a shoulder for his teenage daughter to cry on, say when her best friend stole her boyfriend and it feels like her world is coming to an end.

Because right now, there is a man who did just that, sitting on his deck, smoking a cigar, next to a pile of opened Father’s Day cards, possibly with a tear in his eye because he got emotional after reading what his favorite daughter wrote, wishing his children would give him grandkids instead of just golf balls and cigars.

And you know what? There is nothing unnatural about him.

Happy Father’s Day, Dad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen.

My wife is very passionate about her career, and very driven to achieve great things in her field.

But for my part, I never really found anything to be passionate about professionally. I used to see this as a defect or character flaw. We live in the Washington, DC area, which is dominated by hyper-motivated, hyper-aggressive "Type A's," and I just don't fit in.

But since becoming a father to our twin girls, I've been gratified to pour so much passion into parenting. While I don't want to rely on them for my personal fulfillment, I have shouldered a lot of the responsibility for their upbringing. When my wife works late or has a client dinner, it's just daddy to pick them up at day care, get them fed, get through bath time unscathed, read stories, and get them in bed. And I love every second of it.

The popular culture wants me to feel emasculated or embarrassed about all this, but to hell with that. There are too many kids in this country growing up without fathers for me to feel anything but pride and joy for my role in our household.

Judging by all the commercials and sitcoms I see, American fathers are nothing but bumbling idiots, and we shouldn't expect too much from them. This "cultural meme" is extremely destructive, IMHO.

I'm not going to be embarrassed for scooting around in my mini-van. My daily tasks are too important for me to worry about whether or not I seem cool in the miniv-an I bought after selling my Mustang convertible.

After all, being a father is the coolest thing I will ever do.